We are a VMWare shop. No other way to put it. I would say about 95% of the servers that I'm responsible for run on VMWare. The other 5% need to be physical for one reason or another. Recently, we decided to start the process of upgrading our environment to VMWare View 5.
I built two 2008R2 servers...one to be used as the View Connection Server, the other to be used as the Virtual Center/View Composer server. For those of you new to VMWare, View Composer needs to be run on the Virtual Center server.
Everything was going along fine until the View Composer installation. It got to the point of starting services, then would give me "Error 1920 - Service VMWare View Composer (svid) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." Hmmm...ok...let's look at Event Viewer. Event ID 0 - Failed to perform VMWare View Composer module initialization. It was trying to pass a SQL query to my SQL server, but it didn't like the syntax. Ok...let's go to Google and see if anyone else had this problem.
Since View 5 is still pretty new, not a lot out there. I ran across a few articles saying to run the service as a domain accout, make sure the service can interact with the desktop, check DB permissions, etc... Needless to say, none worked.
Here is how I fixed the issue: I had a feeling the problem lied somewhere with the ODBC SQL driver. SO, I decided to not use the default SQL driver installed with 2008R2. Instead, I installed the SQL Native client for 2008R2. I set up a new ODBC connection using that...and just like that, the install finished with no issues.